Using the Manage languages feature, you can add and remove languages for which you are providing a set of translations. Any languages you add need a set of translations. How you apply a primary language is also described.
Using 'Manage languages' for specifying the languages for your application
You can access the translations feature from the tools menu. Once open, you can detail the primary language for your application and any additional languages for which you are providing translations. To start working with the translation feature:
1. Select translations from the tools menu in the builder bar to open translations. When you first work with the translation features, the fields are empty. In the following example, how you specify English as the primary language and Spanish as an additional language is explained.
2. Open the Choose a Primary Language menu and click on Manage languages.
3. In the Manage languages window, you can add languages. You can use the:
Click on the Add (+) button. The language is now displayed in the list of Added Language(s).
4. Click the Add (+) button. The language is now displayed in the list of Added Languages. You can add additional languages as required.
5. Click Close to close the Manage languages window and return to the main Translations view. You can now specify the primary language for your application.
Note: You can add or remove languages as required for your applications using Manage languages. To remove a language, click on the Bin button.
TIP! You can scroll through the list to the required language.
When you click the Add (+ ) button the language is displayed in Added Languages. It is now also included in the Added Language(s) list with details of the number of keys and values. As you import or create keys and values, you can use Manage languages to check the status of keys and values for different languages in your application. The current list of languages included in the application is displayed with these details.
Specifying the primary language for your application
Once you have added languages for your application, you can set the primary language for your application. The primary language is the default language. Where a user’s browser is set to a language for which translations have not been included, the default language is used.
In the following example, the default language is set to English.
1. Open the Choose a Primary Language menu. A list of languages that have already been added using the Manage Languages tool is displayed. In this case, the following languages are available:
2. Select the language you want to designate as the primary language for your application. In the above example, English is selected. The selected language is displayed in the primary language field and the Translations table now contains a column for providing text information for each primary keys.
3. Click on the row to enter the required text you want to apply such as the label text for buttons, fields, title and other information in your applications.
For example, for define the label Address to a form field. How you connect the key with the specific field is described in
Adding languages and translating terms
Once you have specified the primary language, you can also specify between other languages that you have added in the Manage Languages window.
1. Click on the Add translations to another language (+) button next to the primary language menu. A language that is already added using the Manage Languages tool is displayed in the Choose a language menu.
2. Click on the pull-down menu to select a language. In the above example, Dutch, Standard NL is selected.
3. Click on the row to enter the required translation details.
You can manually complete translation details directly or import a set of prepared translations.
➝ Next article: Creating keys for assigning terms in multiple languages